First things first – your privacy is important to us. That might be the kind of thing all these notices say, but we mean it. You place your trust in us by using Rentalcars.com services and we value that trust. That means we’re committed to protecting and safeguarding any personal data you give us. We act in our customers’ best interest and we are transparent about the processing of your personal data.
If you’ve used us before, you know that Rentalcars.com offers online ground transportation services, including ancillary products and services such as insurance, through our own websites and mobile apps, as well as other online platforms such as partners’ websites and social media. We’d like to point out that all the information you are about to read, generally applies to not one, not two, but all of these platforms.
In fact, this single privacy statement applies to any kind of customer information we collect through all of the above platforms or by any other means connected to these platforms (such as when you contact our customer service team by email).
If you are one of our business partners, make sure to also check out our Privacy Statement for Business Partners to understand how personal data is further processed as part of the business relationship.
We might amend the Privacy Statement from time to time, so we recommend you visit this page occasionally to make sure you know where you stand.
Personal data you give us
We can’t help you book your car rental without information, so when you use our services there are certain things we ask for. This is typically routine information – your name, email address, and your payment information. We might also ask for your home address, phone number, date and place of birth, passport and driving licence information, and the names of any additional drivers.
In addition to this, we also collect information from the computer, phone, tablet or other device you use to access our services. This includes the IP address, the browser you’re using and your language settings. There are also situations in which we receive information about you from others or when we automatically collect other information.
This is the general overview but if you’d like to know more about the information we collect, we go into more detail below.
Personal data you give us
Rentalcars.com collects and uses information you provide to us. When you make a booking, you are (at a minimum) asked for your name, email address and payment information.
We may also ask for your home address, telephone number, payment information, date and place of birth, passport and driving licence information, and the names of any additional drivers.
If you need to get in touch with our customer service team, or reach out to us in a different way (such as social media) we’ll collect information from you there, too. This applies whether you are contacting us with feedback or asking for help using our services.
You might also be invited to write reviews to help inform others about your car rental experience. When you write a review on the Rentalcars.com platform, we’ll collect any information you’ve included, along with your display name.
If you create a user account, we’ll also store your personal settings and reviews of previous bookings. This saved data can be used to help you plan and manage future bookings or benefit from other features only available to account holders (such as incentives or other benefits).
We may offer you referral programs or sweepstakes, and participating in these will mean providing us with relevant personal data.
Personal data you give us about others
Of course, you might not simply be making a booking for yourself. You might be booking a car rental with an additional driver or making a booking on someone else's behalf. In both those scenarios, you will provide their details as part of the booking.
In some cases, you might use Rentalcars.com to share information with others. This can take the form of participating in a referral programme, as described when you use the relevant feature.
At this point, we have to make it clear that it's your responsibility to ensure that the person or people you have provided personal data about are aware that you've done so, and that they have understood and accepted how Rentalcars.com uses their information (as described in this Privacy Statement).
Personal data we collect automatically
Whether or not you end up making a booking, when you visit our websites or apps we automatically collect certain information. This includes your IP address, the date and time you accessed our services, and information about your computer’s hardware and software (such as the operating system, the internet browser used, software/application version data and your language settings). We also collect information about clicks and which pages have been shown to you.
If you’re using a mobile device, we collect data that identifies the device, as well as data about your device-specific settings and characteristics, app crashes and other system activity. When you make a booking using this kind of device, our system registers how you made your booking (on which website), and/or which site you came from when you entered the Rentalcars.com website or app.
Personal data we get from other companies
It’s not just the things you tell us, though – we may also receive information about you from other sources. These include business partners, such as affiliate partners, subsidiaries of the Rentalcars.com corporate group, other companies of the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group and other independent third parties.
Anything we receive from these partners may be combined with information provided by you. For example, Rentalcars.com services are not only made available via Rentalcars.com and the Rentalcars.com apps, but are also integrated into services of affiliate partners you can find online. When you use any of these services, you provide the booking details to our business partners who then forward your details to us.
We also integrate with third party service providers to facilitate payments. These service providers share payment information so we can administer and handle your booking, making sure everything goes as smoothly as possible for you.
Additionally, we collect information in the regrettable case that we receive a complaint from you or about you from a car rental company.
We may also receive information about you in order to show you more relevant ads, such as the additional cookie data Rentalcars.com social media partners make available to us. Please read the section Why do we collect and use your personal data? for more information.
Car rental companies may share information about you with Rentalcars.com too. This could happen if you have support questions about a pending booking, or if disputes or other issues arise about a booking.
Why do we collect and use your personal data?
The main reason we ask you for personal details is to help you organise your online bookings and ensure you get the best service possible.
We also use your personal data to contact you about the latest deals, special offers and other products or services we think you might be interested in. There are other uses, too. If you'd like to find out what they are, read on for a more detailed explanation.
Why do we collect and use your personal data?
We use the information collected about you for a variety of purposes. Your personal data may be used in the following ways:
- Bookings: First and foremost, we use your personal data to make and administer your booking, and to forward the necessary details to the company that provides your car (or other product or service, such as insurance). This includes sending you communications in relation to your booking, such as confirmations, modifications and reminders. In some cases this may also include processing your personal data to enable online check-in or processing personal data in relation to damage deposits.
- Customer service: We provide international customer service from our local offices in more than 40 languages, and we're here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our international customer service teams need your details so they can help you make a booking, for example, or to reply to any queries you may have before, during or after your booking.
- Account facilities: To make things easier, you can create a user account on our platforms. This involves giving us your personal data, and it lets you do a number of useful things. We use the information you give us to administer this account, allowing you to do a number of useful things. You can manage your bookings or other purchases, take advantage of special offers, and manage your personal settings and preferences. It also makes it easier to make future bookings. Managing personal settings gives you the ability to easily see car rentals you've searched for and check information you've provided.
- Marketing activities: We use your information for marketing activities. These activities include:
- Using your contact information to send you regular news about our special offers, discounts and updates, including details of our travel-related products and services (and/or those of our group companies or affiliate business partners). You can unsubscribe from email marketing communications quickly, easily and at any time - just click the "unsubscribe" link in any email or visit our Data Subject Request Portal.
- Based on your information, individualised offers might be shown to you on the Rentalcars.com website, in mobile apps or on third-party websites/apps (including social media sites) and the content of the site displayed to you might be personalised. These could be offers that you can book directly on the Rentalcars.com website, on co-branded sites, or other third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting.
- Contacting you by phone, email or SMS with information about insurance products that you didn't include in your booking.
- Inviting you to participate in promotional activities (such as sweepstakes, referral programmes or competitions). When you participate in other promotional activities (such as sweepstakes, referral programmes or competitions), only the relevant information will be used to administer these promotions.
- Communicating with you: There might be other times when we get in touch, including by email, by post, by phone or by texting you. Which method we choose depends on the contact information you've previously shared. We process the communications you send to us. There could be a number of reasons for this, including:
- Responding to and handling any requests you have made.
- If you have started but not finished a booking online, we might contact you to invite you to continue with your booking. We believe that this additional service benefits you as it allows you to pick up the process where you left off without having to search for a car rental or fill in your booking details again.
- When you use our services, we might send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with Rentalcars.com or the car rental company.
- Sending you other material related to your bookings, such as how to contact Rentalcars.com if you need assistance at the pick-up desk, and information that we feel might be useful to you in planning or getting the best out of your car rental. We might also send you material related to upcoming bookings or a summary of previous bookings you made through Rentalcars.com.
- Even if you don't have an upcoming booking, we may still need to send you other administrative messages, which could include security alerts.
- Sending you a summary of your previous bookings.
- Market research: We sometimes invite our customers to take part in market research. Please see the information that accompanies this kind of invitation to understand what personal data will be collected and how that data is used.
- Improving our services: We also use personal data for analytical purposes and product improvement. This is part of our commitment to making our services better and enhancing the user experience. In this case, we use data for testing and troubleshooting purposes, as well as to generate statistics about our business. The main goal here is to get insights into how our services perform, how they are used, and ultimately to optimise and customise our website and apps, making them easier and more meaningful to use. As much as possible, we strive to use de-identified data for this analytical work.
- Providing the best price applicable to you, depending on where you are based: When you search our apps or website to find a car rental, we process your IP address to confirm whether you are in the European Economic Area (EEA) or in another country. We do this to offer you the best price for the region (EEA) or country (non-EEA) where you are based.
- Customer reviews: During and after your booking, we might invite you to submit a review. This invite asks for information about the car rental company and your experience. You can choose to display a screen name next to your review, instead of your real name. By completing a review, you're agreeing that it can be displayed (as described in detail in our Terms and Conditions) on, for example, our platforms, on our mobile apps, on our social media accounts and social media apps, or other channels owned, hosted, used or controlled by Rentalcars.com. This is to inform other customers about the quality of the car rental company you used and any other experiences you choose to share.
- Call monitoring: During calls with our customer service team, live listening might be carried out or calls might be recorded for quality control and training purposes. This includes the usage of the recordings for the handling of complaints, legal claims and for fraud detection. Not all calls are recorded and recordings are kept for a limited amount of time before being automatically deleted unless Rentalcars.com has determined before then that the recorded calls need to be retained for fraud investigation or legal purposes (as further described below)
- Promotion of a safe and trustworthy service: To create a trustworthy environment for you, any additional drivers, Rentalcars.com’s business partners and car rental companies, we continuously analyse and use certain personal data to detect and prevent fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities. Similarly, we use personal data for risk assessment and security purposes, including when you report a safety concern, or for the authentication of users and bookings. When we do this we may have to stop or put certain bookings on hold until we’ve finished our assessment.
- Legal purposes: Finally, in certain cases, we may need to use your information to handle and resolve legal claims and disputes, for regulatory investigations and compliance, to enforce our Terms and Conditions or to comply with lawful requests from law enforcement and other public authorities.
Providing your personal data to Rentalcars.com is voluntary. However, we may only be able to provide you with certain services if we can collect some personal data. For instance, we can't process your booking if we don't collect your name, email address and payment details.
If we use automation to process personal data which produces legal effects or significantly affects you, we will always implement the measures required to safeguard your rights and freedoms. This includes the right to obtain human intervention.
To process your personal data like this, we rely on the following legal grounds:
As applicable, for purpose A and B, Rentalcars.com relies on the legal basis that the processing of personal data is necessary for the performance of a contract, specifically to finalise and administer your booking. If the required personal data is not provided, Rentalcars.com cannot finalise the booking, nor can we provide customer service. In view of purposes C to K, Rentalcars.com relies on its legitimate interest to provide its services, to prevent fraud and to improve its services (as set out more specifically under C to K).
When using personal data to serve Rentalcars.com's or a third party's legitimate interests, Rentalcars.com will always balance your rights and interests in the protection of your personal data against Rentalcars.com's rights and interests or those of the third party. For purpose L, Rentalcars.com also relies, where applicable, on compliance with legal obligations (such as lawful law enforcement requests).
Finally, where needed under applicable law, Rentalcars.com will obtain your consent prior to processing your personal data, including for email marketing purposes or as otherwise required by law.
If you wish to object to the processing set out under C to K and no opt-out mechanism is available to you directly (for example, on our Data Subject Rights Portal), please contact us at [email protected], stating 'Privacy'; in the subject line.
What third parties do we share your personal data with - and why?
There are different parties integrated into Rentalcars.co's services, in various ways and for various reasons. The primary reason we share your data is to supply the car rental company with the relevant information to complete your booking.
We also involve other parties to provide you with the Rentalcars.com services. This includes, for example, financial institutions, advertisers, subsidiaries of the Rentalcars.com corporate group and other affiliates of the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group. Or, in some cases, if we're required to by law, we might share your data with governmental or other authorities.
Below, we go into more detail about how the information you share with us is used and exchanged with these parties.
What third parties do we share your personal data with - and why?
In certain circumstances, we'll share your personal data with third parties. These third parties include:
The car rental company you booked with: In order to complete your booking, we transfer relevant booking details to the company/companies supplying the car and/or other related products (including insurance) that you have requested. This is one of the most essential things we do for you.
Depending on the booking, the details we share can include your name, age range, contact details, the names of any additional drivers and any other information or preferences you specified when you made your booking.
If the car rental company you select on our platform participates in our pre-registration scheme, the details we share can also include your home address, phone number, date and place of birth, passport and driving licence information if you have provided this information to us at your sole discretion. Providing further pre-registration information will enhance your pick-up experience, but it is optional and you will still be able to pick-up your car rental even if you do not provide any pre-registration information.
If you have a query about your booking, we may contact the car rental company for assistance with your request.
In cases of booking or insurance related claims, disputes or any other kind of customer service issue, we may provide the car rental company with your contact details, including your email address and information about the booking process as well as the dispute itself as needed to handle the dispute. This can include, but may not be limited to, a copy of your booking confirmation to demonstrate that a booking was actually made, as well as any information related to your complaint.
Please note that, sometimes, at the direction of the car rental company, we will need to share your personal data with parties related to the car rental company in order to finalise and administer your booking. These parties might include other entities of a car rental company's corporate group or service providers who are handling the data on the car rental company's behalf. Please be aware that any information you provide directly to the company/companies supplying your car and/or related products will be stored and used in accordance with their own privacy notice(s) and terms and conditions.
Car rental companies will further process your personal data, outside of the control of Rentalcars.com. They may also ask for additional personal data, for instance to provide additional services, or to comply with local restrictions. If available, please read the privacy statement of the car rental company to understand how they process your personal data.
- Connectivity Providers: Please note that, sometimes, at the direction of the car rental company, we will need to share your personal data with connectivity providers related to and/or contracted by the car rental company in order to finalise and administer your reservation. Connectivity providers act on behalf of the car rental company.
- Your local Rentalcars.com office: To support the use of Rentalcars.com services, your details may be shared with subsidiaries of the Rentalcars.com corporate group, including for customer service. To find out more about the Rentalcars.com corporate group, visit About Rentalcars.com.
- Third-party service providers: We use service providers from outside of the Rentalcars.com corporate group to support us in providing our services. These include:
- Customer support
- Market research
- Fraud detection and prevention (including anti-fraud screening)
We use third parties to process payments, handle chargebacks or provide billing collection services. When a chargeback is requested for your booking, either by you or by the holder of the credit card used to make your booking, we need to share certain booking details with the payment service provider and the relevant financial institution so they can handle the chargeback. This may also include a copy of your booking confirmation or the IP address used to make your booking. We may share information with relevant financial institutions, if we consider it strictly necessary for fraud detection and prevention purposes.
We share personal data with advertising partners, including your email address, as part of marketing Rentalcars.com services via third parties (to ensure that relevant advertisements are shown to the right audience). We use techniques such as hashing to enable the matching of your email address with an existing customer database, so that your email address cannot be used for other purposes. For information on other personalised advertisements and your choices, please read our Cookie Statement.
We use advertising partners, such as metasearch providers, to allow you to compare our offers with the offers of other companies. When you make a booking on Rentalcars.com after using an advertising partner, we will send the details of the booking that you made on Rentalcars.com to that partner. All service providers are required to continue to adequately safeguard your personal data.
Competent authorities: We disclose personal data to law enforcement to the extent that it is required by law or is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts and fraud, or if we are otherwise legally obliged to do so. We may need to further disclose personal data to competent authorities to protect and defend our rights or properties, or the rights and properties of our business partners.
Business partners: We work with many business partners around the world. These business partners distribute or advertise the Rentalcars.com services, including the services and products of our business partners.
When you make a booking on one of our business partner' websites or apps, certain personal data that you give them, such as your name and email address, your address, payment details and other relevant information, will be forwarded to us to finalise and manage your booking.
If customer service is provided by the business partner, Rentalcars.com will share relevant booking details with them (as and when needed) in order to provide you with appropriate and efficient support.
When you make a booking through one of our business partners' websites, the business partners can receive certain parts of your personal data related to the specific booking and your interactions on these partner websites. This is for their commercial purposes.
When you make a booking on a business partners' website, please also take the time to read their privacy notice if you'd like to understand how they process your personal data.
For fraud detection and prevention purposes, we may also exchange information about our users with business partners - but only when strictly necessary.
- The Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group: Please read here how we may share your personal data with the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group.
Rentalcars.com is a global business. The data that we collect from you, as described in this Privacy Statement, could be made accessible from, transferred to or stored in countries which may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information. In such cases, we will protect your data as described in this Privacy Statement.
This may also be applicable if you are in the European Economic Area (EEA). Countries to which your data could be transferred may not have laws that provide the same level of protection to your personal data as laws within the EEA. Where this is the case, we will put in place appropriate safeguards to ensure that such transfers comply with applicable UK data protection legislation.
In particular, when your data is transferred to third-party service providers, we establish and implement appropriate contractual, organisational and technical measures with such providers. In certain specific cases, we transfer your data outside the UK and/or EEA because this is necessary to conclude or fulfil the contract we have with you or is in your interest. For instance, when you make a reservation on Rentalcars.com or through a business partner, we may need to transfer your data to our supply partner or business partner, which might be located outside the EEA.
You can ask us to see a copy of implemented safeguards (where possible) by contacting us at [email protected]
How is your personal data shared within the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group?
Rentalcars.com is part of the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group. Read on to find out more about how your data may be shared within the Booking Holdings corporate group.
Rentalcars.com is part of the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group. More information is available at Bookingholdings.com.
We may receive personal data about you from other companies in the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group, or share your personal data with them, for the following purposes:
To provide services (including to make, administer and manage bookings or handle payments) and administrative support;
To provide customer service;
To detect, prevent and investigate fraudulent, other illegal activities and data breaches;
For analytical and product improvement purposes;
To provide personalised offers or send you marketing with your consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law;
For hosting, technical support, overall maintenance and maintaining security of such shared data; and
To ensure compliance with applicable laws.
As applicable and unless indicated otherwise, for purposes A to F, Rentalcars.com relies on its legitimate interest to share and receive personal data. For purpose G, Rentalcars.com relies, where applicable, on compliance with legal obligations (such as lawful law enforcement requests).
All companies within the Booking Holdings Inc. group of companies may need to exchange personal customer data to ensure all users are protected from fraudulent activities on its online platforms.
How do we make use of mobile devices?
We offer free apps, through which we also collect and process personal data. This works in much the same way as our website, but they also allow you to benefit from the location services available on your mobile device(s).
We offer free apps for a range of different mobile devices, as well as versions of our regular website that have been optimised for browsing on a mobile and tablet.
These apps and mobile websites process the personal details you give us in much the same way as our website does.
How do we make use of mobile devices?
With your consent, we may send you push notifications with information about your booking. You can also choose to grant us access to your location data or contact details in order to provide services you've requested. Please read your mobile device’s instructions to understand how to change your settings and control the sharing of this category of data.
With cross-device tracking, Rentalcars.com is able to track user behaviour across multiple devices. As part of cross-device tracking, we may combine data collected from a particular browser or mobile device with data from another computer or device that is linked to it.
In order to optimise the content of the Rentalcars.com newsletter, we combine searches and bookings made from different computers and devices. You can unsubscribe from the Rentalcars.com newsletter at any time.
Personalised ads shown to you on other websites or in apps, can be offered based on your activities on linked computers and devices. By changing the cookie settings on your device (see our Cookie statement under “What are your choices?”), you can change your cross-device tracking settings for advertisement purposes. You should know that logging out of your Rentalcars.com account doesn't mean that you will no longer receive personalised ads.
How do we make use of social media?
The use of social media may be integrated into Rentalcars.com services in various ways. These will involve us collecting some of your personal data or the social media provider receiving some of your information. If you'd like to learn more about how this information is used and exchanged, read on.
At Rentalcars.com, we use social media in different ways. We use it to promote our partners' travel-related products and services and to advertise, improve and facilitate our own services.
Note that the use of social media features can result in the exchange of personal data between Rentalcars.com and the social media service provider, as we describe below. You are free not to use any of the social media features available to you.
We may maintain social media accounts and offer apps on several social media sites. Whenever you connect with Rentalcars.com through social media, your social media service provider may allow you to share information with us. If you choose to share, you will generally be told by your social media provider which information will be shared.
When you register with a Rentalcars.com social media app or connect to a social media messaging service without a Rentalcars.com user account, the information you choose to share with us may include the basic information available in your social media profile (including your email address, status updates and a list of your contacts).
We'll use this information to help provide you with the service you requested - for example, to forward a message you want to send to your contacts, or to create a personalised user experience in the app or on our websites. It means that if you want us to, we can tailor our services to suit your needs, connecting you and your friends with the best ground transport companies and analysing and improving our travel-related services.
Your social media provider will be able to tell you more about how they use and process your data when you connect to Rentalcars.com through them. This can include combining the personal data they collect when you use Rentalcars.com through them with information they collect when you use other online platforms you have also linked to your social media account.
What security and retention procedures do we put in place to safeguard your personal data?
We have implemented a range of procedures to prevent unauthorised access to, and the misuse of, personal data that we process.
We have procedures in place to prevent unauthorised access to, and the misuse of, personal data.
We use appropriate business systems and procedures to protect and safeguard the personal data you give us. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions for accessing and using the personal data on our servers. Only authorised personnel are permitted to access personal data in the course of their work.
We’ll keep your personal data for as long as we have determined it's necessary to enable you to use our services or to provide our services to you (including maintaining your Rentalcars.com user account, if you may have one), to comply with applicable laws, resolve any disputes and otherwise to allow us to conduct our business, including to detect and prevent fraud or other illegal activities. All personal data we keep about you is covered by this Privacy Statement.
How do we treat the personal data of children?
Rentalcars.com is a service you are only allowed to use if you are over 18 years of age. We only process information about children with the consent of their parents or legal guardians, or when the information is shared with us by the parents or legal guardians themselves.
Our services aren't intended for children under 18 years old, and we'll never collect their data unless it's provided by (and with the consent of) a parent or guardian. The limited cases we might need to collect data include a customer service dispute or an insurance claim. Again, this will only be used and collected as provided by a parent or guardian and with their consent.
If we become aware that we've processed the information of a child under 18 years old without the valid consent of a parent or guardian, we will delete it.
How can you control the personal data you have given us?
You have the right to review the personal data we keep about you at any time. You can request access to or deletion of your personal data by submitting this form. If you want to find out more about your rights to control your personal data, read on.
We want you to be in control of how your personal data is used by us. You can do this in the following ways:
You can ask us for a copy of the personal data we hold about you,
You can inform us of any changes to your personal data, or you can ask us to correct any of the personal data we hold about you. As explained below, you can make some of these changes directly online yourself when you have a user account,
In certain situations, you can ask us to erase, block, or restrict the processing of the personal data we hold about you, or object to particular ways in which we are using your personal data,
In certain situations, you can also ask us to send the personal data you have given us to a third party,
Where we are using your personal data on the basis of your consent, you are entitled to withdraw that consent at any time subject to applicable law, and
Where we process your personal data based on legitimate interest or the public interest, you have the right to object to that use of your personal data at any time, subject to applicable law.
We rely on you to make sure that your personal information is complete, accurate and current. Please do let us know about any changes to, or inaccuracies in, your personal information as soon as possible.
If you have a Rentalcars.com user account, you can access a lot of your personal data through our website or apps. You’ll generally find the option to add, update or remove information we have about you in your account settings.
If any of the personal data we have about you isn’t accessible through our website or apps, you can send us a request.
If you want to exercise your right of correction, access, erasure or objection or if you do not want us to share your data with Booking.com, all you need to do is complete and submit the form found in the Data Subject Request Portal. For any requests relating to this Privacy Statement, to exercise any of your other rights, or if you have a complaint, please contact our Data Protection Officer at [email protected] You can also contact your local data protection authority if you have a complaint.
If you’d like to object to your personal data being processed on the basis of legitimate interest and there’s no way to opt out directly, please contact us at [email protected] If you’d like to contact us by post, please address it to the Data Protection Officer and use the following postal address: 35 Fountain Street, Manchester, M2 2AN.
Who is responsible for the processing of personal data on our platforms?
Booking.com Transport Limited (trading as Rentalcars.com) located in the United Kingdom, controls the processing of personal data for the provision of its services. That includes its websites and mobile apps, except for some exceptions that are clarified in this privacy statement.
Booking.com Transport Limited (trading as Rentalcars.com) controls the processing of personal data, as described in this Privacy Statement, except where explicitly stated otherwise. Booking.com Transport Limited is a private limited liability company, incorporated under the laws of the United Kingdom, and has offices at 35 Fountain Street, Manchester, M2 2AN.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, or about our processing of your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer at [email protected], stating 'Privacy' in the subject line and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you reside in the EU, you can still contact us, but you may also contact our EU Representative, Booking.com B.V., Herengracht 597, 1017 CE Amsterdam, the Netherlands at [email protected], and for related information or complaints you can also contact your local data protection authority using the channels it may make available.
For questions about a booking, please contact our customer service team through the customer service contact page.
Requests from law enforcement should be submitted to [email protected]
Depending on the law that applies to you, we might be required to provide some additional information. If you'd like to know more, please read on.
For California Residents - California Law
This section supplements our Privacy Statement and only applies if you reside in the state of California. Where applicable, it describes how we use and process your personal information (the term used under the law) and explains your particular rights under California law.
We describe below the personal information we collect about you, including by identifying specific categories of information:
- Identifiers (e.g. your name, account number, email address, IP address)
- Financial, medical, or health insurance information (e.g. your bank account number, payment card number, medical information if provided by you or on your behalf)
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (e.g. your gender, religion, sexual orientation)
- Commercial information (e.g. your purchase information)
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (e.g. information about your website or app usage)
- Geolocation data (e.g. your physical location)
- Inferences (e.g. analytics and preferences)
If you would like more information about the categories of sources from which we obtain personal information, the specific types of personal information we collect, or the purposes for which we collect them, please read the sections of our Privacy Statement titled "Personal data you give us", "Personal data you give us about others", and "Why do we collect and use your personal data?".
To learn more about the receipt of personal information from and the sharing of personal information with third parties, please read the sections "Personal data we get from other companies" and "What third parties do we share your personal data with - and why?".
We may share certain pieces of your personal information with third parties, which under California law can be treated as a 'sale' of information. This may include information related to Identifiers, Commercial information, Geolocation data, Internet activity, and Inferences, as described above. We may also share your personal information, listed above under A-I for "business purposes," such as to service providers who assist us with securing our services, for payment purposes, customer support services, delivering marketing messages, or advertisements. For more details, including the recipients of your personal information, you can check out the "Personal data we get from other companies" and "What third parties do we share your personal data with - and why?" sections of our Privacy Statement.
California law provides you with certain rights, including the right to access specific pieces of personal information, learn about how we process personal information, including disclose or sell personal information, request deletion of personal information, opt out of 'sales' and not to be denied goods or services for exercising these rights.
You may exercise your right to opt out of 'sale' by clicking on this link, selecting 'California' from the dropdown menu and following the instructions.
To exercise your right to request access to or the deletion of your personal information under California law, please submit a request via our Data Subject Request Portal. To otherwise exercise these or any of your other rights under California law, or to contact us with questions and concerns about this privacy statement and our practices, you can also contact us by telephone at 01 833 574 3225 or by email at [email protected] with the subject line: "California Resident Privacy Rights - Request".
If you are an authorized agent wishing to exercise rights on behalf of a California consumer, please contact us at the email above, attaching a copy of the consumer's written authorization, designating you as their agent. We may need to verify your identity before completing your rights request by, for example, requesting information about your previous bookings with us.
Rentalcars.com's services are not directed at children under the age of 16 years. Therefore, Rentalcars.com does not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under the age of 16 years without appropriate consent, as required under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
For the period until 31st December 2020, we have compiled the following statistics about the receipt and handling of requests identified as requests submitted under the CCPA by consumers from California as of 1st January 2020:
- Number of requests to know received, complied with in whole or in part or denied: 13
- Number of requests to delete received, complied with in whole or in part or denied: 48
- Number of requests to opt out of sales received, complied with in whole or in part or denied: 13110
- Average number of days to substantially respond to requests to know, delete or opt out: < 30
This section supplements our Privacy Statement and only applies if you reside in South Korea.
Items of personal information collected
For information about the items of personal information that we collect, please read the sections of our privacy statement titled "Personal data you give us", "Personal data you give us about others", "Personal data we collect automatically" and "Personal data we get from other companies".
Purposes of collection and use of personal information
For information about the purpose and use of the personal information that we collect, please read the section of our privacy statement titled "Why do we collect and use your personal data?".
Third Party Recipients and Trustees of Personal Information
Trustees: Business/Supply Partners
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: Personal information is used by the business partner to arrange the service you have booked. The information is retained and deleted as stated in this Privacy Statement.
Trustees: Payment Processing trustees
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: Personal information is shared with third party payment providers who process payments, handle chargebacks or provide billing collection services on our behalf. The information is retained as stated in this Privacy Statement.
Trustees: Customer support trustees
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: Personal information is shared with these trustees so that we can provide customer support services to you when you need us.
Trustees: Market research trustees
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: We share personal information with trustees who help us in carrying out market research.
Trustees: Security trustees
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: Personal information is shared with trustees that provide fraud detection and prevention (including anti-fraud screening) services.
Trustees: Advertising trustees
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: When you make a reservation on Rentalcars.com after using an advertising partner, we will send the details of the reservation that you made on Rentalcars.com to that partner.
Trustees: Booking Holdings Inc.
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: Personal information is shared with companies in the Booking Holdings Inc. corporate group for the following purposes: to provide services (including to make, administer and manage reservations or handle payments); to provide customer service; to detect, prevent and investigate fraudulent and other illegal activities, and data breaches; for analytical and product improvement purposes; to provide personalised offers or send you marketing with your consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law; for hosting, technical support, overall maintenance and maintaining security of such shared personal information; and to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
Trustees: Connectivity Providers
Purpose / Entrusted Duties: We provide details of your booking to connectivity providers on behalf of business/supply partners.
Process and method of destruction of personal information
When destroying personal information, Rentalcars.com takes commercially reasonable and technically feasible measures to make the personal information irrecoverable or irreproducible. Electronic documents or files containing personal information will permanently be deleted using a technical method that makes recovery or retrieval of such information impossible. Non-electronic documents or files containing personal information will be shredded or incinerated. In case any personal information is required to be retained for a period beyond the period of retention and use as prescribed by applicable law, to the extent technically possible, such information will be stored or maintained separately from other items of personal information.
Department for protection of personal information
If you have a request that is related to this privacy statement or your data subject rights, you may contact our department that is responsible for the protection of personal information and related complaints:
Data Protection Office
+82 2 6323 8008
You may also use any of the addresses below to contact or consult your local authorities about personal information related matters:
- Privacy Infringement Report Center privacy.kisa.or.kr / 118
- Cyber Investigation Division, Supreme Prosecutors' Office www.spo.go.kr / 1301
- National Police Agency Cyber Security Bureau www.ctrc.go.kr / 182
Representative in Korea
Pursuant to the Act on the Promotion of the Use of the Information Network and Information Protection, the information regarding the domestic agent is as follows:
- Name and representative: Booking.com Korea Limited (Representative: Su Yeon Kim)
- Address, telephone number and e-mail address: 17F Gran Seoul, 33 Jongro, Jongro-Gu, Seoul, South Korea, +82 2 6323 8008, [email protected]
Pursuant to the Act on the Promotion of the Use of the Information Network and Information Protection, the information regarding the domestic agent is as follows:
Name and representative: Booking.com Korea Limited (Representative: Su Yeon Kim)
Address, telephone number and e-mail address: 17F Gran Seoul, 33 Jongro, Jongro-Gu, Seoul, South Korea, +82 2 6323 8008, [email protected]
Customers from Turkey may also use the contact details set out below for requests related to this privacy statement:
The local representative for Booking.com Transport Limited. in Turkey is Ozdagistanli Ekici Avukatlık Ortaklığı, located at Al Zambak Sok No: 2 Varyap Meridian Grand Tower A Blok K: 32 D: 270 Ataşehir-İstanbul.